Friday, April 9, 2010

Did I loose my ATM card...again?

I remember the days when my boys were teenagers. Many of the conversations we had circled around their lack of memory. Or "selected memory" as I used to say. Did they remember to brush their teeth? Did they remember to do their homework? Did they remember to call their grandmother? Did they remember to write thank-you notes if they received a gift?

And when they started to drive..."Don't forget to call me when you get to your friends' house," or "Don't forget your drivers license!"

My memory has been okay throughout the years. I remembered.....umm.....well, you know. Anyway, now.....I was just.....DAMN!......What was I......OH YEAH! My ATM card.....

I used to pride myself in always remembering where it was and to pull it out of the ATM machine after I withdrew some money but for the third time within the last several weeks I've walked away from the ATM machine without my card.

The first time I did this I was crazed looking for it. I searched all the nooks and crannies in my car, the pockets of all my jeans and jackets, my workplace and retraced my steps for hours hoping to see the shiny blue card. When I went to the bank to report it missing, it was found in the 'lost and found' because I had left it in the machine.

The second time I 'misplaced' my ATM card I searched my purse, my clothes and when I thought I would have to retrace my steps a blizzard poured from the sky. No retracing my steps with snow on the ground. So with my tail between my legs I went back to the bank and lo and behold...someone had turned it in...again...because again...I left it in the machine.

So two days ago I realized the ATM card wasn't where I usually put it, again. Before work I pulled up to the grocery store and pulled the ATM card holder out of my purse. The card holder bent. When my ATM card is in the holder, it doesn't bend.

After working at the radio all morning I went back to the bank, hoping that someone had turned it in. I was calm and collected and didn't go crazy trying to search everywhere for the card. I had a feeling I knew where it was.

"Godfrey the Teller" rolled his eyes as he saw me walk through the bank doors. I knew then and there, without him having to say a word, that my ATM card had been turned in...again.

I smiled sheepishly as he handed me back my card.

There was nothing more I could say except to remember to say, "Thank you."

I'm trying not to freak out about why my mind literally goes BLANK after I get my hands on a few twenty dollar bills. I take the money and walk away. It's happened a few times now.

Should I panic? Or should I look up that chapter in my new menopause book?

3 comments:

  1. Next it's your keys...
    Maybe you should apply for a job in the bank-you won't need references!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said...and I can relate. Only difference is that my brain dysfunction always happened after I pulled up in front of a place and parked. Then, I would sit in the car trying to remember why I was there. I found that lists helped...maybe you should put a sticky note on your ATM card...

    ReplyDelete